Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Half Nelson and A Guide to Recognizing your Saints.

Last night I was in the mood to watch a movie. So, I ended up watching two movies. The two movies I watched were from the Sundance film festival in 2005 and 2006.
The first movie I watched was called A Guide to Recognizing your Saints. Staring Robert Downey Jr and Rosario Dawson. Two of my favorite thespians.

Guide to Saints was about a boy named Dito who lived in Astoria Queens, New York in the 80's. The movie showed how life in queens was at that time as a teenager and how Dito just wanted to get out of that life. Dito eventually leaves New York and moves to California and becomes a successful writer and does not return to Queens until twenty years later when his father is dying. The movie is very sad and emotional but over all I give it 4. 5 stars.


Half Nelson is a story about a jr. high teacher (Ryan Gosling) in the inner city who is addicted to drugs. He had been a coke addict for most of his life. He can control his addiction to where it does not affect his job or social life. In the movie Ryan Gosling is the girls basketball coach as well. All the children love there teacher and coach. There is one student (Dre) who plays a significant role in the teachers life. This movie is very intense and had its moments that make you want to say WTF ( That means what the funny). This movie was nominated for an Oscar and it won the grand jury award at the Sundance film festival in 2006. I would give this movie 5 stars.

I am attaching both trailers here. If you do see these movies let me know what you think.



No comments: